Sunday, February 28, 2010

Queen of Hearts by K. Dawn Byrd


I'm really looking foward to the release of my new book, Queen of Hearts, from Desert Breeze Publishing on April 1. Click on the image to the left to read an excerpt.

Daphne Dean is proud to be serving her country stateside during WWII as a reporter and an Office of Strategic Services operative. When the photograph she takes of the crowd at a murder scene places her on the mob's hit list, she's forced into hiding in a vacant mental asylum in the middle of nowhere with terrifying secrets of its own.

Daphne believed herself to still be in love with her ex-fiancée, Kenneth, until she spends several days locked away in the asylum with Vito, the mob boss' son. Can she put the terrifying events that occurred there behind her and allow herself to pursue a relationship with Vito? Or, will she return to Kenneth who has turned his back on his country by becoming a draft dodger and a black market racketeer? One thing's for sure, it won't matter if she can't escape the mental institution alive.

Question:
In Queen of Hearts, our heroine, Daphne Dean, took a book to bed with her to take her mind off the fact that she was in hiding in an abandoned mental institution. She chose a comedy. What do you like to read and why?

15 comments:

  1. If I was in a mental institution I would have picked a comedy too, to take my mind off of my current surroundings. Usually, I enjoy mysteries and sci-fi books also. Congrats on being so close to the release of your book! YEAH!!! :O)

    www.dianeestrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. An historical novel based on the Civil War era. It would keep me deeply intuned with that time span and take my mind off being alone in an abandoned mental health unit. Plus I'd learn something about that time period. That's the purpose for reading for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romance, comedies, historical...

    edwina.cowgill@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would choose a comedy too! Like Janice Thompson's Fools Rush In. :)

    I have already signed up for email updates. :) Thank you for the chance!

    caseymh18(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comedies and romances, preferably mixed together. :)

    writer_weaver at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy reading Inspirational books set in the 1960s or later. I love to read books set in the 1800s and I love small towns.

    nataliewhite2u[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy a good mystery novel, I like to keep my brain working!

    Pam
    bookworm1414 (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to read biblical theology books, American History, Christian fiction, crochet magazines, all kinds of things. For something to read before I go to bed, it would have to be a devotional. Congrats on your soon to be release date!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like romance & mysteries & suspense & comedies...

    karenk
    kmkuka(at)yahoo(dot)Com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy mysteries and autobiographies which of course tend to be mysteries too LOL.

    Would love to win these books. Great interview

    Wyndy

    wyndyc at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read fiction that is uplifitng and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would probably read an inspirational novel, or a mystery like Nevada Barr's park ranger novels.
    My favorite escapes are in the books I read, and I love it! Please enter me in your giveaway.
    Thank you!

    Sandee61

    Muzzley56[at]aol[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Probably Young Adult since that is what I am really into right now. Please enter me. Thank you!

    cherierj(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I only read inspirational fiction and like to switch up genres. However, given a choice, I'll curl up with a great mystery/suspense.

    I love the cover of this book. Please enter me in the drawing.

    RedeemedReaders@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to read only cozy mysteries. Now that I've started reviewing books on my blog I read all genres of books and I've had a ball. I'm so glad that I started reviewing books because it has opened a whole new world to me. My WIP is a cozy mystery.
    Deborah M.
    debbiejeanm[at]gmail[dot]com
    deborahsbutterflyjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Interview with Barbara M. Britton and spotlight of Lioness...

We're happy to have Barbara M. Britton with us talking about her book Lioness . To learn more about her and Lioness, please read o...