The Preacher's Bride. To learn more about Jody and her book, read on!
1) How did this story come to you?
The Preacher’s Bride is a tale about finding true love amidst the intense discrimination and persecution that existed after the Restoration of the monarchy in 1650’s England.
This book is inspired by Elizabeth Bunyan, the second wife of John Bunyan, author of Pilgrim’s Progress, one of the most popular books of all times. As I was reading a biography about John Bunyan, I ran across a small excerpt about Elizabeth.
I loved the brave way Elizabeth defended John during one of his trials when he was under arrest for his “unlicensed” preaching. Her strength to face a court of persecutors and her determination to faithfully support her husband touched me so deeply, that I decided her little-known story needed to be told to the world.
2) Tell us about the journey to getting this book published.
I spent about 6 weeks reading biographies and other time-period books. I sifted through plot ideas, wanting to stick as closely to the facts as possible, but also knowing I needed to dramatize the story to bring it to life.
A large part of my planning involved the process of getting to know my characters. I used an extensive character worksheet (available on my blog for free). I try to use what history has told us about the real characters, but then I filled in the rest and made them larger than life.
Then after my characters were living and breathing in my mind, and after I had a basic plot outline, I started the actual writing. It took me about nine months of writing during my little ones’ naptimes. When I finished, I spent several months editing it.
Finally, after about a year from when I first started, I queried the book to agents. It took me another nine months to get an agent to take me on as a client (an ACFW Genesis contest win really helped me). Then my agent shopped my book to Bethany House . . . and the rest is history!
3) Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers.
1. I eat pie for breakfast. Yep. Anytime there’s pie in the house, I indulge myself in a piece for breakfast, especially if it has fruit in it of any kind because then I’m getting a couple servings of fruit.
2. I’m a fast walker. My kids usually have to run to keep up with me everywhere I go. I’m sure it looks quite comical to see me, the mother duck with my five youngun’s trailing after me, tripping over themselves!
3. Writing quirk? While I write, I stick bananas in my ears to block out the noise of my children. Okay, so not really. But I do wear headphones and listen to Pandora a LOT during my writing time.
4) What are you working on now and what's next for you?
I’m in the editing stages for my next book, The Doctor’s Lady (which will be published in September of 2011). And I’m also working on researching and plotting a third contracted book (to be published in 2012).
5) Parting comments?
I love meeting readers! Please stop by my Author Facebook Page and introduce yourself! I’d love to connect!
6) Where can fans find you on the internet?