Monday, February 27, 2012
Fay Lamb's "Because of Me"
Title: Because of Me.
Publisher: Treble Heart Books/Mountainview Publishing.
Cover blurb: Issie Putnam’s life took a detour the night she was raped at gunpoint in front of her fiancé, Michael Hayes. Instead of marrying Michael, a promising young investigative reporter, Michael, along with the man who attacked her, and the man who held the gun on Michael, are imprisoned for conspiracy to assassinate the local district attorney—a crime Michael was trying to expose but had no intention of committing. Issie’s name is ruined, she lost her perfectly-planned future, but she gained Cole, her son—born of that rape.
On the eve of her attacker’s parole, Michael, already released from prison, follows through on his plan to return to the small town of Amazing Grace and protect Issie from the madman who promised to seek revenge. There, he meets Issie’s seven-year-old son for the first time.
Can Michael learn to love the child Issie holds so close to her heart? Will Michael be able to protect the woman he loves from the man who will stop at nothing to destroy them all?
1) How did this story come to you?
Because of Me was birthed when the hero, Michael Hayes, came onto the stage of my imagination and said, “There’s a young boy, Cole. I’m not his father, but he’s definitely on this earth because of me. I allowed something horrible to happen to his mother, but I still love her. I despise the kid, though. I’ve forgiven another for so much more, and Cole’s only fault is that his father is the man who took everything from me. How can I learn to love this child and protect his mother from the man who can again take her from me?”
Michael’s story captivated me, and when it was all said and done, I realized that Romans 8:28 permeates the pages of this story. All things, both the good and the bad, are used by God for our good.
2) Tell us about the journey to getting this book published.
From the start I realized Because of Me was going to be a different type of story, one that doesn’t fit the mold of formula Christian fiction. I believed in this story of a young man and woman separated by more than time, who fight to regain what had been torn from them years earlier. I believed in it so much that I would not be deterred by those who told me I needed to fit it into a mold to sell to a certain publisher. The message that God is in the details of every aspect of our lives is much too important to lose within a mold.
When I met the editor-in-chief of Treble Heart Books, I knew I’d met someone who thinks outside the box. She asked for a full manuscript and after being scrutinizedby two reviewers for Treble House, I got the contract. When the editor completed the galley edits, she contacted me and said, “Fay, this book has grit.” And I agree. Because of Me isn’t your typical Christian fiction.
3) Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers.
1. While I consider myself pretty social online, I’m pretty much a hermit. I enjoy long periods of alone time, preferably spent in the mountains where I can write, walk around beautiful Lake Junaluska, and meditate.
2. I love to work with and to encourage other authors. American Christian Fiction Writers’ Scribes’ online critique group, which I co-moderate, and my work as an editor with Pelican Ventures, Inc., are both ministries I thank the Lord for daily.
3. I’m a salt and pepper shaker enthusiast. I collect all kinds. I’ve never met a pair I didn’t like. Currently, I have more than 500 pairs, which led my dear mother-in-law to remark one day when she asked for salt, and I handed her the Morton’s container, “You mean, with all of these salt and pepper shakers in your house, not one of them has salt and pepper inside?”
4) What are you working on now and what's next for you?
I have completed a second romantic suspense, Willow’s Path, and two contemporary romances, Charisse and Liberty. Currently, I’m working on two other romantic suspense novels and the last story in the contemporary romance series while editing a contemporary fiction entitled, Storms in Serenity. Beyond that I am excitedly looking forward to delving into a novel that includes the intriguing world of professional surfing.
5) Parting comments?
Thank you for having me on your blog. I appreciate the opportunity to share my novel, Because of Me. I truly feel this book has a message or hurting people. It doesn’t matter if your problems are a result of your own mistakes or the mistakes of others. God tells us that all things work for good to those who love Him. God is in the details of every part of our life. Look for Him there, and you will find Him.
6) Where can fans find you on the internet?
My website is www.faylamb.com (where you can purchase an autographed copy of the novel) and I love making new friends on Facebook and Twitter at www.facebook.com/fay.lamb and www.twitter.com/@faylamb
Because of Me is also available at Amazon.com and at my publisher’s site: www.trebleheartbooks.com/MVLamb.